Dissonant Whispers 5e is a spell in Dungeons and Dragons. It has become a popular choice for players who want to deal significant psychological damage to their enemies. This spell is available to bards, sorcerers, and warlocks, and has the potential to inflict serious pain and confusion on a single target.
While Dissonant Whispers may not deal as much physical damage as some other spells, its ability to force enemies to move away from the caster can create openings for further attacks or allow the caster to escape from danger.
The mechanics of Dissonant Whispers are relatively simple, but mastering this spell takes practice and strategy. To use Dissonant Whispers effectively, players must consider the range of the spell, the enemy’s saving throw, the potential movement of the target, and the amount of damage the spell can deal.
In this guide, we will explore the different aspects of Dissonant Whispers and provide tips and tricks for using them effectively.
Dissonant Whispers’ practical applications in combat also offer a unique role-playing opportunity for players. The idea of a bard or sorcerer using their voice to create a discordant melody that causes their enemy to experience intense pain and confusion is a powerful and evocative image.
Players who incorporate Dissonant Whispers into their role-playing can create memorable and immersive moments that add depth to their characters and the game world.
Dissonant Whispers 5e spell that offers both practical and creative benefits to players of Dungeons and Dragons. Whether you’re looking to deal significant damage to your enemies, create opportunities for further attacks, or simply add depth to your role-playing.
The Dissonant Whispers 5e spell is worth mastering. we will explore the different mechanics of the spell.
What is Dissonant Whispers 5e?
Dissonant Whispers is a 2nd-level enchantment spell in the 5th edition of Dungeons and Dragons. It is available to bards, sorcerers, and warlocks and allows the caster to use their voice to create a jarring, discordant melody that causes intense pain and confusion to a single target.
When a creature is targeted by Dissonant Whispers. It must make a Wisdom saving throw. If they fail the save, they take 3d6 psychic damage and must use their reaction to immediately move as far away from the caster as possible. If they succeed on the save, they take half the damage and are not forced to move away.
Dissonant Whispers have a range of 60 feet and can be cast as a bonus action, making it a versatile spell that can be used in a variety of situations. While it may not deal as much damage as some other spells, its ability to force enemies to move away from the caster can create openings for further attacks or allow the caster to escape from danger.
Dissonant Whispers 5e spell that requires strategy and timing to use effectively. It offers a unique combination of damage and crowd control, making it a valuable tool for players who want to deal psychological damage to their enemies.
How To Get Dissonant Whispers
In order to obtain Dissonant Whispers in Dungeons and Dragons 5e, a character must be a bard of at least 1st level. Dissonant Whispers is a 1st-level spell on the bard spell list.
To cast Dissonant Whispers, a bard must have a Charisma score of at least 13 and must expend a 1st-level spell slot. The spell has a verbal component, which means the bard must speak a specific incantation in order to cast it. The bard also needs to be able to see and hear the target of the spell.
Bards learn new spells as they gain levels, so a 1st-level bard knows only a limited number of spells. Dissonant Whispers is one of the spells that a 1st-level bard can choose to learn.
As the bard gains levels, they can learn additional spells and can also cast Dissonant Whispers at higher levels by expending higher-level spell slots. This increases the damage the spell deals.
In addition to learning the spell through leveling up, a bard can also learn Dissonant Whispers from a spell scroll or from another bard who already knows the spell. A bard can also choose to replace one of their known spells with Dissonant Whispers when they level up and gain access to new spells.
It’s worth noting that Dissonant Whispers is not available to every class in the game. Only bards have access to this spell. If a player wants to use Dissonant Whispers in their game, they will need to create a bard character or hire a bard NPC to cast the spell for them.
How to Use Dissonant Whispers Effectively?
Using Dissonant Whispers effectively in Dungeons and Dragons 5e requires a bit of strategy and careful planning. Here are some tips on how to use Dissonant Whispers to its fullest potential:
- Identify the right targets: Dissonant Whispers 5e spells are most effective when used on enemies that are likely to move on their turn. This includes enemies that are already near other allies or enemies that are in the process of moving toward an ally.
- This will cause the target to take damage and move away, potentially provoking opportunity attacks from other party members.
- Position yourself strategically: To get the most out of Dissonant Whispers, you need to be in a position where you can see and hear your target. Make sure you are positioned in a way that allows you to cast the spell on the right target at the right time.
- Coordinate with your party: Dissonant Whispers can be even more effective when combined with other spells or abilities.
- For example, if you have a party member with a readied action, they can make an opportunity attack against the target as they move away. Or, if you have another spellcaster in the party, they can use a spell-like Grease to make the target more likely to fall prone.
- Use it to create distance: Dissonant Whispers are also useful for creating distance between you and your enemies. If you’re surrounded by enemies, you can use the spell to force one of them to move away from you, giving you some breathing room.
- Know when to use higher-level spell slots: Dissonant Whispers become more powerful when cast using higher-level spell slots. If you’re facing a particularly tough enemy, consider using a higher-level spell slot to deal more damage.
- Consider the enemy’s saves: Like any spell, Dissonant Whispers can be resisted by enemies with high saving throws. Make sure you know the enemy’s saving throw bonuses and adjust your tactics accordingly. If an enemy has a high Wisdom save, for example, you may want to focus on other spells or abilities instead.
- Use it for crowd control: Dissonant Whispers is a great spell for crowd control, especially when facing groups of weaker enemies. By targeting the right enemy, you can force them to move away from their allies, potentially provoking opportunity attacks and making it harder for the enemies to coordinate their attacks.
- Take advantage of the psychic damage: Dissonant Whispers deals psychic damage, which is a relatively uncommon damage type in D&D. This can be useful against enemies that are resistant or immune to other types of damage, such as undead or constructs.
- Be aware of the range: Dissonant Whispers have a range of only 60 feet, so make sure you’re within range of your target before casting the spell. If you’re too far away, you’ll need to move closer or use a different spell.
How Do Dissonant Whispers Spell Work?
Dissonant Whispers is a spell that allows the caster to use their voice to create a jarring, discordant melody that causes intense pain and confusion to a single target. The mechanics of the spell are relatively simple, but there are several factors that can impact its effectiveness.
Range and Targeting
Dissonant Whispers have a range of 60 feet, which means that the caster must be within 60 feet of the target in order to cast the spell. This range is relatively short compared to other spells, which means that the caster must be careful about positioning themselves in combat to ensure that they can use Dissonant Whispers effectively.
When the spell is cast, the target creature must make a Wisdom saving throw. The caster must beat the target’s spell save DC with their spellcasting ability modifier plus their proficiency bonus.
If the target fails the saving throw, they take 3d6 psychic damage and are forced to use their reaction to move as far away from the caster as possible. If the target succeeds on the saving throw, they take half damage and are not forced to move away.
Damage and Movement
The damage dealt by Dissonant Whispers is 3d6 psychic damage if the target fails their saving throw, or half that amount if they succeed.
While this may not seem like a lot of damage compared to some other spells, the ability to force the target to move away from the caster can create opportunities for further attacks or allow the caster to escape from danger.
When the target is forced to move away, they must use their reaction to do so. This movement does not provoke opportunity attacks, which means that the caster cannot take advantage of the target’s movement to attack them again.
However, the movement can be useful for creating space between the caster and the target, which can be valuable in certain situations.
Timing and Strategy
Dissonant Whispers is a spell that requires strategy and timing to use effectively. Because it can only target a single creature, the caster must be careful to choose the right target and make sure that they are in range.
Additionally, because the target must use their reaction to move away, the caster must consider whether they want to use the spell early in combat or wait until later when the target may have already used their reaction.
Dissonant Whispers 5e spell offers a unique combination of damage and crowd control. While it may not deal as much damage as some other spells, its ability to force enemies to move away from the caster can create opportunities for further attacks or allow the caster to escape from danger.
To use Dissonant Whispers effectively, players must consider the range of the spell, the enemy’s saving throw, the potential movement of the target, and the amount of damage the spell can deal.
Optimization Tips of Using Dissonant Whispers
In addition to understanding the mechanics of Dissonant Whispers, there are several optimizing tips you can use to make the most of this powerful spell in combat.
- Combining with Other Spells: Dissonant Whispers can be combined with other spells to devastating effect. For example, you can use it to force a target to move into the area of effect of a damaging spell, such as a fireball or thunder wave. You can also use it to set up other party members’ spells or attacks, such as a rogue’s sneak attack or a fighter’s action surge.
- Burning an Enemy’s Reaction: Dissonant Whispers is a powerful tool for burning an enemy’s reaction. By forcing the target to use its reaction to move away from you, you can prevent it from using reactions for other purposes, such as opportunity attacks or defensive spells. This can be especially effective against high-level enemies with powerful reactions.
- Targeting Weaknesses: Like any other spell, Dissonant Whispers is most effective when targeted at enemies’ weaknesses. For example, if you know that an enemy is vulnerable to psychic damage, using Dissonant Whispers can deal significant damage and potentially even incapacitate the target.
- Opportunity Attacks: When you cast Dissonant Whispers, the target is forced to use its reaction to move away from you. This can be used to your advantage, as the target may provoke opportunity attacks from your allies as it moves away. Consider positioning yourself and your allies strategically to take advantage of this.
- Positioning and Timing: Positioning and timing are key when using Dissonant Whispers effectively. Consider the range of the spell, the positioning of your allies and enemies, and the timing of your actions to ensure maximum impact.
By incorporating these optimizing tips into your strategy, you can make the most of Dissonant Whispers and become a powerful force on the battlefield. Remember to always consider the specific situation and tailor your tactics accordingly.
Benefits of Using the Dissonant Whispers
It can be utilized in different scenarios. However, it is most effective in situations where the caster needs to deal damage and create space. Here are a few examples of when Dissonant Whispers may be particularly useful:
- Crowd Control: Dissonant Whispers 5e spell can be used to disrupt the movement and actions of a single target, making it useful in situations where the party is facing a large group of enemies. By using Dissonant Whispers on one enemy, the caster can force that enemy to move away, creating an opening for the rest of the party to attack the other enemies.
- Escape: It is used as a means to escape in situations. when the caster is in danger of being overwhelmed by enemies. By using Dissonant Whispers on the nearest enemy, the caster can create space between themselves and their attackers, allowing them to retreat or reposition themselves for a better vantage point.
- Damage: Dissonant Whispers deal with psychic damage, which is a relatively rare damage type in Dungeons and Dragons. It can be particularly effective against enemies that are resistant to physical damage or weak against psychic damage. As the spell deals damage and forces the target to move away, it can be useful for taking out weakened enemies or finishing off enemies that are already damaged.
- Control: Dissonant Whispers 5e spell can be used to control the movements of a single target, It is very beneficial in preventing the enemy from reaching an objective or escaping from the party.
By forcing the target to move away, the caster can buy time for the party to complete an objective or prevent the enemy from sounding an alarm or summoning reinforcements.
Can Dissonant Whispers be cast on an ally?
No, Dissonant Whispers cannot be cast on an ally. The spell specifically targets a creature of your choice that you can see within range, and forces that creature to use its reaction to move as far away as its speed allows from you.
Can Dissonant Whispers be used to force a creature to move into a dangerous area or trigger a trap?
Yes, Dissonant Whispers can be used to force a creature to move into a dangerous area or trigger a trap. However, this requires careful positioning and coordination with your party members
Can Dissonant Whispers be cast on creatures with an intelligence of 3 or lower?
Yes, Dissonant Whispers can be cast on creatures with an Intelligence score of 3 or lower, as there are no specific restrictions in the spell description regarding the target’s Intelligence level. However, it’s important to note that the spell’s effects may be less effective against creatures with lower Intelligence scores, as they may not understand the whispers or be capable of comprehending the fear and confusion that the spell induces.
Can Dissonant Whispers be cast on creatures that are immune to psychic damage?
Yes, Dissonant Whispers can still be cast on creatures that are immune to psychic damage, as the spell’s effect of forcing the target to use its reaction to move away from you is separate from its damage-dealing capability.
Can Dissonant Whispers be used to force a creature to jump off a cliff or into danger?
No, Dissonant Whispers only forces the target to use its reaction to move away from you. It cannot force the target to take any specific actions, such as jumping off a cliff.